Wednesday 31 October 2018

Can't Is Okay

Around the Internet, especially in those corners devoted to disability awareness, there’s a huge prevalence of things to do with “Can’t/Can Do”. One I find very odd is the statement “There’s no such thing as Can’t.”

I don’t mean to sound rude, but there definitely IS such a thing as “Can’t”!

For example, I CAN’T breathe on more than 75% of lung capacity. I CAN’T run or jump. I CAN’T walk or stand for long periods of time. And so on and so forth. Some of those things I’ve learned a way around, like taking breaks if I’m going any great distance. Others, I just don’t bother with. 

There's nothing wrong with not being able to do something. And sometimes pushing yourself to do that certain something can just be a big waste of time and energy. It’s kind of like a line from an episode of ALF: “Find out what you don’t do well, then don’t do it.”

A wise Melmacian
A lot of what I do now came from not being able to do things growing up. Like, with the running and jumping. That led to, obviously, not being cut out for a lot of sports and more physical activities. Sure it sucked when I was younger, but as I got older, I got into comics, writing, computers, and other current passions!

Don't lose sleep over stuff you can't do. Find things you can.

Cheers

2 comments:

  1. A fantastic lady I think we both know, shared this with me. Her name is Midge Short-Gentles and she's pretty darn wise, I must say.
    That said, I also want to say thank you for this. Not many are ready to be so open about what they lack for abilities so it's greatly appreciated to see someone who doesn't give a hoot speak out, loud and proud about what they can't do!
    Very well written and totally relatable for me.
    Cheers,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midge is my Dad's aunt. Thanks so much for your comment.

      Delete