Monday 25 June 2018

Changing Faces 2.0

Disabled adult who recently started using home care.
A few years ago, I wrote a post about looking through home and personal care websites and being unable to find any photos of individuals who were either not severely disabled or who were under "senior" age. That was about three years ago during my last attempt to look for home care.

I've been looking through photos again recently, and I'm impressed to see more representation of other ability levels and age groups within this subject online. It's by no means a lot, but small victories, I guess.

In addition to photos, there seems to be a lot more acceptance and coverage in the information home and personal care organizations put out. Years ago, it was roughly the same deal as the photos: "You're not disabled enough" or "We mostly deal with the elderly." It was a real big pain! This time around, while speaking with representatives, there was still "senior" talk, but it was followed by talk of younger clients and accommodation too.

I think this all has a lot to do with why I actually decided to get home care this time around. Everything finally seemed a lot more comfortable.

Hope this continues.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment