Tuesday 12 June 2018

Gauntlets & Mazes - Adventures in Job Prepping


Preparing for this job is certainly a new experience. I've been so used to volunteer opportunities and placements where it's basically been like "Thanks for applying..what do you like to do..good, your in!" that this process is sort of mind-boggling (in a good way).  At times, just in the last couple weeks, it's kind of felt like running a gauntlet.

Interview, go!, security check, go!, new routine, home care, and so on!

Like today. I had to go get fingerprinted at a rather large government complex I've never been to before. I get to this place and ask for help finding the specific department. The people I asked weren't sure, so they send me to one location. Several hallways, tunnels, and doorways later, and I'm there. I ask this area's receptionist, and she gives me fairly vague directions. After a few minutes trying orient myself, I give up and go back to the first location. Armed with better, more specific directions, I go back, find what I was originally looking for and get fingerprinted. Turned out I got dropped off at the wrong building, which is absolutely something I would do! Also, this took the better part of half an hour.

There were so many twists and turns, and ups and downs that I honestly felt like I was making my way through the Labyrinth! I half expected to meet the Minotaur on my way back.

Instead, what I found was a food court, so my epic journey ended with a danish and latte and a decent sun tan from waiting for Para Transpo.

Not sure what the next phase of this experience will be, but hoping it's a little less mythical than today.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment