Tuesday 12 October 2021

The Best Place To Be

 


Another frequently asked question I see on social media and websites: Where's the best place to live for a disability?

Well, in my opinion, it's all about where you feel comfortable and where you can access the best care and services for you, specifically.

From ages 8 to 20, Winchester, a small rural town about 40 minutes from Ottawa was pretty good. 

When choosing to move there, my parents literally got a map and from the children's hospital where my doctors would be, chose up to a 45 minute radius and landed on Winchester as a place to live.

Growing up, we had a pool which was great fun and physio, a big yard that provided much the same, and our house was a short distance from the town's main street. Short walks provided physio, with trips to a nearby bakery for a doughnut reward. Later, as I got older and could walk more, trips to the local post office and grocery store were used as chores, and then further trips to Winchester's video and convenience stores gave me somewhere I could go and spend allowance from those chores.

The schools were decent, to me anyway, and the small-town vibe insured that a lot of people knew who I was.

But, into my early 20's and after a few years away at college, the small town started to lose its charm. There was very little to actually do, beyond renting movies. I was completely reliant on my family. And aside from a small volunteer gig at the local hospital, employment prospects were non-existent.

Fortunately, the family soon agreed to pack up and move to the city. We were all there already, for school or work, so it made sense. I was closer to all my doctors, with the bus system and Para Transpo, I could get around independently, and there were actual social and vocational opportunities open to me.

Ultimately, it's all about you. 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment