Tuesday 5 October 2021

Reaching The Far Table

 



This post was going to be included in the Social Series, but it seemed like just as good of a fit for this month.

A couple weeks ago, I was looking through some old photos and posts on Facebook and it made me think back to high school.

I was involved in a few things and had people I was friendly with at lunch, free periods, and in my classes, especially in my senior years, but I never really had friends.

I kept to myself a lot, much to the chagrin of my aides and parents. 

I almost always ate lunch alone. I could've easily sat and socialized with those classmates I got along with later on, most of whom sat together at a table at the far end of the school's cafeteria. Unfortunately, between me and them was usually a table full of guys known for bullying other students, including the disabled ones. Still puts a bad taste in my mouth, almost twenty years later. 

 What makes it worse is that through connecting with people years later on social media, I realized that I probably would've had several friends, maybe even a girlfriend, if I had just been more outgoing.

Not having the spine to reach that far table has been one of my few regrets from when I was younger.

Don't let something as stupid as a few bullies scare you out of meeting people and having a good time.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment