Sunday 10 May 2020

Into The Apocalypse

Pictured: NOT Ottawa

It actually happened. After nearly two months of staying at home, I set foot inside another building!

That image is just there for a laugh, but between my initial reluctance, mask, and jacket because it was Winter again in Ottawa yesterday, it kind of felt like I was stepping out into the apocalypse.

But, my near-apocalyptic journey had purpose!

First and foremost, I did it for my Mom.


Being home-bound during a pandemic greatly limited my gift options for Mother's Day. I was tempted to tell her it was going online this year, like everything else, and send her an e-card or possibly write a blog post (which I technically still am, I guess). Then, I thought about asking someone to go out and get her something for me, but that option had limits too. Finally, my mother had made a couple masks for when things really start to open back up, so I took one of those and got a drive to a nearby drugstore.

With my coat done up to keep out the frigid temperatures, and a mask securely on my face, I went in the building! Aisles were strictly marked and half the customers looked like a mixture of surgeons and bank robbers, but I finished my Mother's Day shopping quick and easy.

With that accomplished, I moved onto my secondary objective. Since things shut down and we were told to stay indoors, all I've wanted to do was go somewhere and get a bottle of Pepsi. I've ordered drinks from drive-thru's and my Dad managed to find a couple mini-cans while grocery shopping one day, but it really isn't the same as going somewhere yourself and holding the bottle in your hand. It was like I'd found treasure!

It's like the Holy Grail of things I probably shouldn't have, but are going to anyway
Things bought, out quick, hands coated in Purell, and done!

I'd rather be in Toronto this time of year, enjoying the Toronto Comics Art Fest, junk food, and a hotel bed but, given the circumstances, this'll do for a bit of excitement.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Hi there, my stepdaughter, 28, has just been newly diagnosed with Joubert Syndrome. There is so little information about Joubert syndrome....desperate to ask some basic questions. Would you be willing to email me at the address below? I would really appreciate it. Thank you, Leisa Wick

    ReplyDelete
  2. my email is: leisawick@gmail com.

    ReplyDelete