Thursday 30 April 2020

The World From a Desk Chair



It's been a month and a half since I set foot in a building outside my own home, and it'll likely be another month and a half before I do it again. Even then, outings will probably be limited to local spots like work, our cabin, and local shops and restaurants where the crowds are small.

It's a weird thing to think about, and it can get monotonous at times. Luckily, the great Google comes to the rescue!

Today, thanks to Google spotlighting two hundred museums with virtual tours, I got to do some travel and exploration from the comfort of my bedroom.

First, I "visited" the Metropolitan Museum of Art aka The Met in New York, looking at exhibits of cuneiform, one of the world's first forms of writing, Egyptian sculptures, and arms and armour, which included suits worn by Henry VIII! Next was NASA. A lot of things I've seen before, so I didn't really linger. Still awesome, though!

From there, I crossed the globe over to England, and clicked on the British Museum, a place I've wanted to visit for a while now. A little browsing through medieval exhibits, then into a photo gallery of prehistoric artifacts. I got absolutely lost in them once I found they had detailed descriptions! Favourites included extinct animals and the world's oldest (as in 9000 years!!) mask.

Ancient Jason Voorhees?!
There are a few other places that look like fun, but I think I've done enough "travelling" for one day.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment