Wednesday 1 April 2020

Silver Linings


It's April 1st and I've started a thirty-day writing month. Most ideas came from Google, but I added a few prompts related to the blog or some other things I've written to make it interesting.

The inaugural prompt was "List ten things that make you happy." Fairly easy, so I thought I'd spin it a little to write about things keeping me happy and optimistic during this quarantine/COVID-19 crisis, and share them here.

1. I don't have to worry about Para Transpo

It's been so nice not having to wake up at 6 AM every morning! I work from 8:30 to 1:30 normally, and it's great to be able to actually work within those hours, and not a half-hour more or less on either end.

2. Working from home

Don't get me wrong, I like going into work, but being able to do it in sweatpants is pretty awesome.

3. Work, period

It took a while, but I'm glad to have gotten work to do from home. Having a job that normally involves scanning and filing, I can see why it took a little longer for the people I work with to find me something to do, but they did.

4. Spring weather

I can't go far at all, and barely anything's open, but I'm glad that the weather has improved enough for at least the occasional short walk outside.

5. Family

Normally, at this time of the year, I'd be planning vacations, staycations, day-trips, and other ways to get some time on my own, but this pandemic has made me realize that I'd be pretty well lost without my family to help me out.

6. My wider support system

When the quarantine and isolation started, my family doctor was pretty quick at calling and giving me and my parents instructions and peace-of-mind in case, God forbid, something should happen to me. Home care, Para Transpo, and even my ODSP (disability pension) caseworker, have all been easy to deal with. It can't be an easy time for any of these people, given the situation. Glad they are there!

7. Small businesses

With everything that's been going on the last few weeks, it's been a welcome treat to have still been able to buy a couple comics from the Comic Book Shoppe (paid over the phone, comics handed out at the door) and get some great food from World Burger (ordered over the phone, picked up in sealed bag at location)! I can't imagine what small businesses are going through right now, so it's nice that two of my favourite local spots were able to modify their practices enough to keep everyone safe, while still providing excellent service!

8. Netflix

Liberal amounts of The Flash, Castlevania, Star Trek and yes, even a bit of Tiger King have all helped occupy my time over the last few weeks.

9. Drive thru's

Once in a little while, because they're open, the people there could probably use some human interaction, and iced coffee is great, even during a pandemic.

10. Writing

I've written more on here in the last couple weeks than I have in the last couple months. Self-isolation is good for creativity, maybe??

Stay safe, stay home, and be well.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment