Sunday 24 May 2020

Is It Weird to Say I'm Enjoying This??



COVID measures have been in place here for over two months now, and even though I'm longing for the day when I can walk back into a Starbucks or physically interact with people other than my parents and sister, I've actually been enjoying this time.

Working from home took some getting used to, but I've grown to like it. Not having to wake up a 6 am, wait or rush for Para Transpo, or any of that stuff. I just go down to our basement, turn on my laptop, and that's it.

I've been using this time to go through my extensive selection of reading material, re-reading books and comics and deciding which to keep, sell, or trash when I'm able to do those things.

I've also used this time to write. I've done a couple writing challenges, prompts, gotten some blog post out of the way, and even written some fictional things just for fun!

With lots of events going online, this isolation period has given me a chance to attend things I probably never would have before. Several years ago, I attended an event put on by the local chapter of a professional speaking organization. Afterwards, I followed them on social media in case similar events came up. Every month they put on a networking breakfast, but they're normally a little expensive and located at the other end of the city, so I've never considered going. Last month, they held one over Zoom for a much lower price, so I was able to sign in and listen to their speaker.

Also last month, I was able to attend an "at-home comic convention", interviews and panels with professionals streamed online for free.

Next week, I've registered for a virtual disability event organized by one of Ottawa's universities, and a writer's convention where one of the presentations will be on disability in fiction. Both should be fun!

Just keeping busy and making the best of this situation.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment