Saturday 11 February 2023

Mental Health Check

 


Over the past several months, I've been having some issues related to anxiety about my future, reintegrating into society at large after a couple years of isolation, and concerns about a general lack of independence.

Before Christmas, I had talked with my family doctor about it during a check-up, and asked if there was anything she could do. She was happy to help and gave me a list of places I could call.

I sat on this for a while. I talked with my parents about issues like housing and finances, which helped a little, but I still found I had a few, nagging, personal concerns I wanted to get off my chest. 

So the other day I picked up the phone and made an appointment, which I had yesterday afternoon.

It started off with a short questionnaire to gauge my current mental state, routines, and habits. Then, the counsellor I was speaking to began to address the issues I had mentioned when booking the appointment.

Through the world's best coincidence, the counsellor I was speaking with happened to be legally blind, so he was very understanding when I spoke about disability-related issues (I actually teared up a little when he first told me).

I told him about my background and situation, some of the supports I've currently got set up, and the worries I have about my future. Unfortunately, he couldn't provide much concrete support in regards to some of the bigger issues (finances, housing, etc.), but was sympathetic and approved of what I already have in place. We even joked a little about accessible transit, sharing one or two minor horror stories, and mutually knocking on wood for continued success. 

What this counsellor did help me with, were some strategies and advice about how to cope with some of the more personal, internal issues I expressed. The big recommendation was finding more things to do, to keep my mind occupied and my body active. 

I spoke about being pretty isolated due to the pandemic and respiratory issues and about how I'm currently, slowly trying to get back to being more active and social, rejoining the book club I was a part of, and planning the occasional outing. He told me to keep going for it, and how the more I get back out there, the less fear I'll eventually have. Near the end of the session, I was provided with a list of yoga exercises which would help with focus and calming, and a link to a book, Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway, which might contain a few helpful tips. 

I have the option of scheduling another appointment, which might make for a nice follow-up, after the next book club meeting and maybe purchasing that book.

It may not have provided me with anything huge or life-changing, but I'm glad I finally decided to make this phone call. Speaking with my family members and/or doctors is nice, but it was a bit of a relief to be able to unload to someone both professional and at the same time, not so personally connected to me. 

I know that these issues will be ongoing, but this was a massive help, and I'm looking forward to trying some of these strategies out and seeing how things go. 

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment