Sunday 26 February 2023

Administrative Retreat

 


Last week, I took part in a three-day "retreat" for Administrative staff at work. It was three full (as in 8-4ish) days, the busiest and most social I've been since the start of the pandemic and the most I've worked, ever!

Those of us from Ottawa were joined by colleagues from Canada's Territories. 

To get us settled in and acquainted with each other, the retreat's organizers set up a couple fun icebreaker activities for each morning. We started off by asking everyone else one specific question. I asked about people's favourite TV shows, and was pleased to meet another Vikings fan. Later in the week, we did "2 truths, 1 lie" and were asked what we'd do with a million dollars. In a definite sign of the times, most people including myself, said they'd use the money for a house. Just for fun, I added something about a ComicCon ticket with whatever I had left over.

The business side of the retreat included goal setting exercises and presentations scattered throughout the week from various department heads about what they do and how it relates to the Admin staff, starting with a welcome and Q&A from its President.

Wednesday afternoon, we went to the Native Women's Association of Canada, just a short cab ride away in Gatineau. Some sort of crafting activity had originally been arranged, but that fell through (I was thankful, given my poor dexterity). Instead, we played a few fun games. I won a Tim Horton's gift card at a dice game. We tried bannock balls (think large donut holes/Timbits with cranberries, glazed and dipped in maple syrup!) and watched a documentary called Last Ice, about life in Northern Canada, as well as some of the history and current issues facing the region. 

During our last hour there, we were treated to a guided tour of the building. We saw various meeting rooms, lots of great artwork, and traditional medicine (spearmint smells great, bear grease not so much).

On the final day, between presentations, we had a nice group lunch at a nearby pub. The week ended with commitments to meetings and training, then a group photo and quick farewells.


It was a very busy, somewhat tiring three days, but also fun and highly productive. The weather, though not ideal for visiting colleagues hoping to experience the Rideau Canal and Winterlude, was absolutely perfect for me, with no snow, record-setting balmy temperatures, and mostly clear streets/sidewalks throughout downtown Ottawa and Gatineau. And when walking conditions did happen to get a little slushy at one point, my fellow Admins were kind enough to offer some assistance. 

Speaking of those people, one of the best parts of this retreat, in my opinion, was the opportunity to finally put faces to names of people, admins and directors, whom I've been emailing for the past six months. 

Personally, it was a great experience. I felt professional, included, and safe. A big step towards dealing with some of the mental health/"getting back out there" concerns I'd spoken about the week prior. 

There are plans to make this a regular thing, so hopefully, should things work out, I might just be travelling up North in the future. Fingers sort of crossed for that experience!

Cheers.

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment