Monday 5 October 2020

Sanitizing Sensory Sliminess

 


I had my very first visit to a hospital in almost seven months this afternoon (Orthotics clinic to look for shoes), and as I was going through the now regular sanitization procedures, I came up with the idea for this post, which also fits well with Joubert Syndrome Awareness Month.

Tactile defense and sensory issues have always been an issue for me. My mother still talks about covering my legs in sand at the beach or walking me through grass barefoot when I was little (on doctor's orders) to get me used to things. 

I've never, ever, liked slimy things, and still don't. Gum, Jell-O, some soaps and lotions (though that's not as bad as it used to be), you name it. If it's the least bit gooey or oozy, I've probably disliked it at some point in my life. To this day, I've never even tried a piece of candy! 

So it shouldn't be surprising when I say that, six months ago, I wasn't the biggest fan of some of the proposed COVID safety measures. 

Hand-washing was fine after getting into a routine with it, but using sanitizer took some trial and error.

Purell felt too cold, too runny, and the smell still reminds me too much of an operating room. Other brands had similar issues, as did other methods. Like these places that use spray bottles. Too much, too fast, too cold!

Hand sanitizer from Bath and Bodyworks became the winner, with it coming out slower and having scents that masked the alcohol.

Still feels weird, but I'm used to it now.

Cheers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment