Thursday 3 August 2023

Happy Places

 

Equally breathtaking


Everyone has their happy place. Somewhere they can go physically, or in their heads, that makes them feel content and at ease. For some people, it's a beach. For others, a cabin in the woods.

I've realized recently that I have two, and they couldn't be more different.

First is downtown Toronto, specifically the areas surrounding my past comings and goings during TCAF. The heart of one of Canada's, North America's even!, biggest cities really doesn't fit the typical mold of "happy place", an urban jungle of subways, museums, major television networks, shopping malls, libraries, and sporting arenas, teaming with human activity. But, I love it! I quickly learned to love the noise, the smells, the sights, and the sensory overload. It's one of the first places I went to all on my own, and one of the first places I felt a smidge of true freedom.

Vibing


My second happy place is probably the complete opposite of the first, Horsethief Canyon in Drumheller, Alberta, part of the Badlands.  

I'm not now, nor have I ever really been, a "scenery" person. But, this place just took my breath away!


I remember being on one side of this canyon (the photo at the top of the page) and looking out, leaning on a fence, a decent breeze blowing, with no sounds at all and imagining some kind of animal, horses, bison, mammoths, or even a Tyrannosaurus, roaming at some point in time, somewhere down there, and feeling freakishly peaceful, like I could've stayed there forever. 


They're two destinations I go to in my mind often, and really, really want to return to physically some day.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment