Thursday 11 May 2023

Sun-Spider

 


I haven't read any Spider-Man comics in ages and barely pay attention to previews, spoilers, etc. so I only just found out about this searching for something else.

Last September, an issue of Into the Spiderverse introduced the Sun-Spider/Charlotte Webber, a Spider-character with Ehlers Danlos syndrome, a rare disorder and physical disability. She uses a wheelchair in her civilian identity and seems to shoots webs through crutches as a heroine, which I find to be insanely creative. Also, she appears to web up her chair and carry it on her back while swinging.

The story, which I may track down next visit to the comic shop, looks a little cliché, but I'm just blown away by this character and her originality.

Marvel Comics has made a major push recently to highlight and create more diverse characters but, with the exceptions of Hawkeye, Daredevil, and a few others, I've found their disabled characters lacking (especially new ones). So for me, Sun-Spider is a huge win, even if they barely use her (it's for a multiverse-type story).

And I normally don't get like this, but reading Spider-Man, disabled, and genetic disorder in the same paragraph totally made me cry.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment