Thursday 20 January 2022

More Than Acceptance


 Today is the International Day of Acceptance. 

Okay. Cool. What else ya got?

Sorry, but I just don't see the point when there are so many other, more concrete issues facing people with disabilities that could be addressed. 

Just last week, I read an article about how the government of Nova Scotia says that housing for people with disabilities is not a right, and is fighting both a group of disabled individuals, and the Supreme Court of Canada (link to article). Call me crazy, and I mean no offense, but I think this should be a bigger national, if not international, issue rather than a "Be Nice" day. 

Acceptance, kindness, inclusion, and so on are all important issues, but there's more to it than that! I really do think we can get so caught up in the fluffier stuff sometimes (again, sorry), that we're forgetting other matters like housing, education, and employment, which deserve there own amount of awareness, and maybe even action. 

Just my two cents.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment