Wednesday 15 September 2021

Social Series: Developing Interests

 

One of the most important things I've learnt when it comes to making friends is the importance of developing your own interests and hobbies. 

Just plopping yourself in a group and meeting people works sometimes but most times, you're probably getting to know people based on something you have in common, like sports or school subjects. For me, it's usually been some combination of writing, reading, movies, and comics, or general geekiness.

And yeah, I've made friends because of my disability (from Easter Seals, taekwondo, and the Joubert groups). But, a lot of those people have stayed friends because we've had one or more of the interests I listed above in common.  

The disability has either been a foot in the door, an ice breaker, or it hasn't figured in at all. Ultimately, it's about individuality and personality.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment