Sunday 22 September 2019

Back to School: Making Friends (or Not)


In my early school days, I had several friends. We'd play at recess, go to each other's houses, and celebrate birthdays.

But, when I was in the fifth grade, around ten or eleven years old, I was bullied pretty badly. Suddenly, the socializing stopped. I was still sociable, but I didn't have any friends.

Aides and even my parents would push me to be social, saying things like "Just go play!", or scolding me for reading a book during recess, or even making sure I was sitting with someone at lunch. This just annoyed me, and made me want to withdraw myself even more. I know they had the best of intentions, but it still bugs me, thinking back.

Over the next couple years, I stuck to myself a lot in school and at home. This was when I started getting into comics, writing, drawing, and other passions. And, even though I wasn't very social in school, I still did things outside of that environment.

The year I was bullied was my first year of Easter Seals Camp Merrywood. It was also around the time I really started to like Taekwondo. A few years later, I would start playing sledge hockey and going to a couple teen groups organized by the children's hospital I went to. The bonds I formed through these groups have lasted WAY longer than those made with anyone I ever went to school with!

As I got further into high school, the interests and hobbies I had picked up while not having friends were what helped me meet people who liked the same sort of things I did. The ability to pick my own courses during my senior years was a big help too, for much of the same reasons!

It's great to be social and have friends but, if you find yourself struggling at some point, it's not the end of the world. Find what you like to do, and eventually you'll meet people you fit in with, and who want to fit in with you!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment