Tuesday 28 March 2017

Job Insecurities

Something here I have to vent about.

I've been spending a good portion of the day doing employment-related things: following up on resumes, following up with service providers, and think about new places to contact for potential work. During this process, I've developed the opinion that looking for work sucks, and I'm starting to get annoyed and a little scared.

In a recent exchange with some of the people who have offered to help me, they brought up the idea of volunteer work. Now, several years ago this would've been a totally acceptable suggestion, but as I've spent the last three to four years of my life volunteering for one group or another, the recommendation bugged me. For the first time ever, I felt the need to speak up and be forceful (not rude!) with a service provider. I guess, like I said with Para Transpo, employment assistance for those with disabilities is just another broken system.

I know the job market for anyone, not just individuals with disabilities, is hectic right now. I also know that, realistically, I come with several different accommodations and limitations. But there has to be SOMETHING out there, right??

I've decided to go back through organizations I've looked into or sent applications off to in the past, and see if there's any potential employment opportunities around. Maybe with the experience I've gained in the last few years from the placement, treatment centre, and call centre, I might actually get lucky.

But all this process is starting to scare me. My parents are reaching retirement and have things they want to do, and I want to be more self-sufficient and get out more in order to let them do those things, but I can't if I'm stuck volunteering, living off just a disability pension.

Oh well, for now I have a plan. I'll just have to be patient and see how this one works.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment