Thursday 3 December 2015

The Book II: Abridged Intro part 2 - What It's All About

This part's taken longer than I thought it would. I guess that's what happens when you've chosen to write something a lot longer than a blog post or page-and-a-half article.

Anyway, here's where I lay out some of the ideas of what I want the book to be about and the areas I want to focus on. For now, these are all rough ideas. I might add or scrap some things as I get going.

I plan on writing about transitioning to adulthood with a disability, with the hook being that it's from the perspective of someone who's been there (or, in some cases, still is there). But, I want to focus more on how to deal with the smaller, more universal things that come with having a disability. There are tons of resources out there related to disability-centric topics like healthcare, finances, and education, but the take-away from those are usually dependant on the individual and where they live.

My plan is to write about things that can apply to anyone with a disability going into adulthood, like talking to people about your disability, getting out into the community (and/or the world at large) any way possible, and being comfortable in your own skin. And again, this is all from someone who's been there.

Right now, I think I want to separate things into three broad categories: 1) Getting Out, 2) Dealing with Others, and 3) Accepting Yourself.

Getting Out will be about, well, getting out. Being independent in the world with a disability. It could be some kind of post-secondary experience like college, university, or another kind of program. Working or volunteering. Travelling abroad. Just going for a coffee. Whatever. It's all about being able to do things on your own.

Dealing with Others would be topics related to how to deal with other people in your life, especially when it comes to your disability. You're probably going to be with them for the long haul for one reason or another, so how do you handle being with family while still trying to be as independent as possible? What's the best way to talk to others about your disability? In this section, I also plan to write about bullying and how to advocate for yourself when it comes to doctors and healthcare.

 And last but not least, Accepting Yourself. This is a more personal area, devoted to ways to help those with disabilities feel better about themselves. It may be a touchy area, but I've definitely been there and I'm sure others have as well. For now, topics here will include feeling comfortable with your disability and staying positive, among other things.

And that's the latest. Now, here's where I could use some help. If anyone has any comments, questions, or ideas, I'd very much appreciate them. Even criticisms, but no haters please.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment