Wednesday 9 December 2015

Changing Faces

Pictured: An adult with a disability
I've got a bit of a bone to pick with organizations that provide care for people with disabilities. Before I get going, I want to say that none of this is personal to any specific group or person, just a general beef.

Ok, here goes. I'm back in the process of looking for some help with personal care, to take some of the "weight" from my parents and give myself a little independence in the process. So, I've been on several websites by now, and here's my beef: Why, on any of these provider's websites, are there never any photos of clients who look roughly like me, disability-wise.

Like one website says it provides care to people of different ages and with various impairments, yet all of the photos show senior citizens. This is the same with other websites as well. Then there are sites where the photos are of mainly people who are more severely disabled.

I get that my disability is "invisible", and that the challenges faced by people within these demographics, and the modes of assistance they can require are easier to showcase through photos, but I just think it would be nice to see a little more variety once in a while. I mean, and no offense to anyone, but sometimes it can be a little disheartening to click on a website promoting assistance for disabled adults, and see nothing but people who are 65 years of age and older, when you're only 30.

Just sort of irksome.

Guess I shouldn't complain. I mean, better this than nothing at all, right?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment