Thursday 25 January 2024

Sparks After Dark

 


This week at work, a group from the Yukon were down in Ottawa.

They had organized a dinner Tuesday evening and extended invitations to anyone in the office who wanted to join. I've worked periodically with a few of them, but never met anyone in person, so I asked if I could attend.

Normally I work mornings, but thought it would be more convenient to go in for the afternoon/evening. A noon-hour pick-up made Para Transpo a little less punctual but otherwise, it was okay.

The restaurant, 3 Brewers, was just two blocks from the office but, given a small dumping of snow the night before, I wasn't sure about walking conditions. Early in the afternoon, I went over to the coffee shop next door and checked out the snow situation on Sparks Street. Not feeling very confident, and taking the PM darkness into consideration, I made the smart choice to get a cab after work.

Got to the restaurant and I ended up sitting with a few people I was familiar with. This was a belated holiday event for the Yukon group, so there was a large gift exchange/swap/steal before food came, which got a little cutthroat at times and was great fun to watch. 

The meal itself if I'm being honest, was just okay. However, 3 Brewers had a set menu for the party, and it was still a nice place, so it would be interesting to go back on a random weekend to order from their main menu.

The food may have left me wanting, but the company was great! Very nice group of people.

What's interesting is that I remember thinking yesterday how, just over a year ago, I was seeking professional help to psychologically do this kind of thing again. Trippy.

It was a fun event and threw a welcome monkey wrench into the usual weekly routine.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment