Saturday 13 August 2022

CanNor - Week One

Work


My first week of work at CanNor, the Canadian Northern Economic Development Agency, is done. I have to say, it went pretty well!

I began my newest venture by seeing 6 am for the first time since March of 2020. I was very early Monday morning, but that gave me an opportunity to cross the street to a Bridgehead coffee shop and take a moment to relax.


After getting a temporary badge and meeting my supervisor, as well as other coworkers, Day One was mostly setting things up. I'm in a decently sized workspace, with two computer monitors, a desk space behind where I sit, and my own cabinet, complete with a locker.

Over the next three days I learnt more about what they would like me to do. A lot of email monitoring and administrative work, but also some opportunities for writing and maybe even some disability advocacy too. 

Throughout the week, I experimented with different pick-up times and locations. Being downtown is great, and Para Transpo was pretty good, but the building is in an odd spot. One whole street is reserved solely for pedestrians and certain sections are closed off (thanks for that, Freedom Convoy...), so I can only imagine how chaotic things will get as more people start going back to work and the cold weather sets in. Thankfully, there's another entrance to the building with more spaces to park, a ramp, and it looks like it could be easier for a driver to help me if I need it.

Thursday I got my official "Welcome" from the department, learned some Inuktitut (a language spoken by some of Canada's Northern Indigenous residents), and completed my first real task. My supervisor had expressed curiosity about Joubert syndrome, so we chatted about that for a while. 

I made good use of a shorter day by pushing back Para Transpo and going out to enjoy the beautiful Summer weather. I explored the surrounding area, part of which was being used as a filming location for a Hallmark movie.

I saw Santa!


I made it to a nearby deli and grabbed some lunch. The whole afternoon was an experience I haven't had in almost three years and I was so happy I could've cried!

 Starting to alternate between working from home and in the office next week, which should be interesting.

It looks like it will be a busy two years, and I can easily see a few major challenges already, but I'm looking forward to it.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment