Monday 6 June 2022

I Shouldn't Have to Do This

 


I've got housing on my mind again. 

It's been five years since I seriously looked into it, and about three since I had my one and, so far, only viewing of an accessible/subsidized apartment through the Ottawa Housing Registry.

The province of Ontario recently had an election, and I was in the middle of drafting a housing-related email to one of my area's candidates when our current Member of Provincial Parliament, who I unsuccessfully reached out to years earlier, was reelected. Instead, I'm in the process of finishing the email to send to one of our city council members. 

I know there's a housing crisis that's affecting everyone, and I'm aware that this email won't magically get me a place to live, or more money to think I can look, but it will get my story told.

But, I can't help thinking that I shouldn't have to do this.

I shouldn't have to be below the poverty level. I shouldn't have to have been on a list for accessible housing for well over a decade now. And I shouldn't have to keep contacting policy makers in hopes that someone just might be willing and able to do something for me (and others)!

Stating the obvious, but it's worth venting about.

Cheers.



No comments:

Post a Comment