Thursday 14 January 2021

Farewell to a Passtime

 


The beginning of 2021 marked the end of the Internet's support of Flash and with it, the end of one of my favourite websites, time-killers, and creative inspirations/outlets Heromachine Hero Creator.

I discovered it randomly about eleven years ago, and just played around on it casually until part way through Scriptwriting, when I used it visualize characters I was creating for projects, like this one for a one-act play:

The Red Knight, World War II-era hero of England

After that, I used it to come up with various characters and creatures for Cryptic, the comic I was trying to write.

After college, it went from a tool to a time-killer, something fun to do when I was bored. 

The website would regularly hold challenges, where people could design and submit a character based on a theme. While I didn't have the tech to officially participate, I would still try them out just for fun.

At one point, I took the Red Knight and created other characters I thought might fit in that "universe." Recently, thanks to the pandemic, I used a combination of writing and Heromachine to expand that universe into the Scooterverse, a more detailed, expanded place for everything. That culminated in a mad Heromachine Marathon a week ago just before the website went down where I created and saved over two dozen characters (two teams worth, plus others) to a memory stick to keep.

It's been a good decade+, but all good things must end, so now I search the Web for my next nerdy way to procrastinate.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment