Saturday 8 September 2018

Actions Speak Louder Than Your Disability


When I first went to Live, Work , Play for help looking for work, I was afraid that being associated with an organization catering to individuals with intellectual disabilities would cause potential employers to view me differently. When I started this new job, I had the same fears about how my coworkers would treat me.

Now, more than two months in, I realize how stupid it was of me to think like that!

Sure, some people have talked to me in the stereotypical “kid-gloves” way often associated with people with disabilities, and for a while it bugged me, but now it either doesn’t happen or I really don’t care if and when it does. At this point, it’s the work that matters.

My manager always has good feedback for me when I meet with her, coworkers are impressed with the work I’ve been doing, I’m getting asked to do more and more, and there may just be a possibility of getting my contract extended beyond December.

I know some people will see me differently because I’m disabled, and even just a year ago this would have really mattered to me and caused me to hold myself back. What really matters now is that I’m working, people like what I’m doing, and I’m even getting paid for it.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment