Monday 21 May 2018

United Shades of Disability


Last night I was watching United Shades of America with W. Kamau Bell on CNN. I've seen it before. A pretty good show, funny host, but nothing I've ever been really in to.

This episode focused on people with disabilities, specifically individuals with visible physical disabilities, partial blindness, and hearing loss. It would've been great to see the show include rare genetic disorders with various developmental characteristics but, like Bell said in the intro, most people widely recognize the three types examined and it would've taken a nine-part mini-series to even try and include everything else.

Anyway, the program included bits about activism, terminology, and media representation of people with disabilities, among other topics. I won't break down everything in this one post, but I will say that the episode was very interesting, thought provoking, and gave me ideas for several future blog posts related to my experiences and opinions with/on some of the issues covered.

Overall, it was a good show to watch and I would recommend it to anyone who'd be interesting in watching it.

Cheers

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this. I can really relate, because I have watched part of the episode. I think it cool how he explored this subject in more detail

    ReplyDelete