Thursday 12 October 2017

JS Awareness Month - The Faces

In my last post, I wrote about the causes and typical characteristics of Joubert syndrome. While that helps promote awareness, it's just a part of the picture. Reading about cilia, low muscle tone, and the like can only tell a person so much. And sometimes that information can make things look a lot darker than they might actually be.

When I was first diagnosed with Joubert syndrome, the things I was told and looked up for myself both confused and frightened me. It wasn't until I met people with JS, and their families, in the flesh that I started to grow comfortable with the new diagnosis.

This is why I believe that, to promote awareness for a syndrome like JS, or any syndrome, disability, or impairment for that matter, it's important for people to see the faces along with the facts. With that said, I want to use the rest of this post to show some of those faces, of people big and small, affected and not, who I've had the pleasure of meeting over the last few years.

*All photos in this post were used previously and ok'd by the folks in them and/or their parents*















Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment