Wednesday 11 May 2016

A Placement and Other Interesting Things


I finally got a placement within the job mentorship program I wrote about a while back.

This was my first week. The placement is twelve hours a week, so Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday mornings, with progress meetings twice a month and runs for three months.

This week, I'll primarily be attending workshops, getting to know people, and learning how things operate but, eventually, they want me to run my own workshop about public speaking in regards to interviews, self-promotion, and "elevator speeches." They would also like me to work on a "Humans of New York"-style project for social media. Should be interesting!

The only downside is that I've had to take a hiatus from volunteering with the treatment centre, but this is the first major work opportunity I've gotten in two years, and I offered to help if needed on my down-time.

Speaking of the treatment centre, I'll be attending an advocacy event there later in the week.

Something else that might make me busy for a while is an Abilities Centre, which would include athletic facilities, arts, and life skills programs, planned to be part of  a new development project here soon. The creation of the centre is being organized by a woman who works at the treatment centre I've been volunteering at, so I sent her an email about the possibility of getting involved with the project somehow. Hopefully something comes out of it.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment