Monday 17 August 2015

So, I'm Going To Write A Book



Yep, it's true! I mentioned this in my first post about Chicago, but for anyone who may have missed it, I've decided to write a book.

The idea was brought up by a couple people at the conference, and it seemed like a good idea so I'm running with it. A couple people are already very interested!

It took me a while to come up with an idea. The obvious choice would've been a straightforward biography but, between articles and some of my presentations, I've kind of done that already. Then I thought about writing about getting diagnosed with Joubert syndrome at 26, but I've never really found that to be that big of a deal.

What I've finally decided on (for now, at least) is to expand some of my blog posts and articles, especially the transitioning-type ones, into book-form (is that even a term?) I want to focus on the social aspects of having a disability and/or rare disorder, and write about things that experts may not necessarily talk about (not that I'm hating on experts, relating the experience of someone who's been there).

Example, there's a lot of information out there about sources of financial assistance for people with disabilities (Ontario Disability Support Program, Social Security, etc.) and how to get them, but I doubt they'd be helpful explaining what it is like to extra money at 18, go a little wild buying comic books and DVDs, then realise you've got to pay for college (true story, but it worked out okay!)

The same goes for social topics such as meeting others like yourself, bullying, or feeling comfortable and accepting your own disability. I'm sure there have been studies and articles written about all of these, but it's always nice for people to see a personal, light-hearted perspective.

Anyway, that's what I'm thinking so far. I'm sure some things will change, but looks like a good idea. If anyone ever has any input/feedback they'd like to offer, it'd be more than welcome!

Kind of scared to finally be writing something like this, but I'm going for it and I know I'll have tons of encouragement.

Will keep everyone updated. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment