Tuesday 25 November 2014

Transitioning Tuesday: Getting Out


Transitioning to Adulthood with a Disability: Getting Out Into the Community

 
Mobility issues, bad weather, social anxiety, or any number of other reasons can make it so easy for someone with a disability to become complacent and just stay home, watching TV all day. This is why it is so important to find a way to get out into the community. There are many different ways to do this, including working, volunteering, or just getting out.

 
Work

 
Paid employment can be tricky for anyone to come by. For those with disabilities, it can be harder still. It took me until just this year to find my first paying job. It was with a call centre that luckily specialized in hiring people with disabilities. The job was also done online, so I was able to work from home. This was more accommodating for me, even though I wasn’t in a social workplace setting.

 I was let go after only a few months (no harm no foul, it was just after a probationary period). Almost immediately, I looked into an employment services program for people with disabilities. I met with a service provider who could help me look for work. Some of the services they’ve provided for me so far have included polishing my résumé and e-mailing me job ads. I haven’t found work yet, but since I’ve been with my service provider I’ve been to a couple job/networking events, had a few interviews (which I’ve done on my own), and I’ve found that I actually have motivation to look for work. Like other things I’ve written about, it’s a long process but it’ll come.

 
Volunteering

 Another, and possibly easier, way for disabled people to get out into their community is to volunteer. Volunteering is a great way to get out, meet people, and contribute to an organization without having to worry about factors such as liabilities and finances. It can also be a lot easier to come by than paid employment.

 For over a year now, I’ve been volunteering in the foundation office of the Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre. I used to be a client of the centre, so they seemed like a good fit. I’m there about once a week, doing mostly data-entry and research for their annual fundraising campaign. I’m not going to lie, every once in a while it can seem repetitive. However, it is fun and rewarding. Plus, I’m out in an office setting among other people which is great.

 
Just Get Out

 One way to get out into the community is to literally just get out. Go for a coffee, have lunch, hang out with friends, join a gym, become part of a group or club. Whatever. Just do it. Explore your community, test your limits, and find places you’re comfortable going to. Then, it’s just a matter of having the courage to go to those places and enjoy yourself. It’s a great way to gain some independence and be social at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment