Monday 20 July 2020

Convention Season



One thing that I've always wanted to to has been to attend a major comic book convention.

I've been to events like Toronto Comics Art Fest (TCAF) in Toronto, Hal-Con in Halifax, and Ottawa's own comic convention, and they've been great, but every summer I still dream of going to one of the major conventions like those in New York, Seattle and, of course, San Diego. Unfortunately, they're always too far, too expensive, or too crowded for my liking, so I usually just settle on going online to read the latest news, look at cosplay photos, and watch the odd video that gets uploaded.

Thanks to COVID, some of these conventions are going free and virtual, which means that I can finally cross off one of my biggest Bucket List items and participate!

San Diego Comic-Con, or ComicCon@Home as it's branding itself this summer, starts this week, with tons of great panels, interviews, and workshops set to be streamed. So much so that is was kind of overwhelming reading through them all!

Also announced for later this summer around the end of August-early September is DragonCon, normally held in Atlanta, Georgia. DragonCon seems to be a gaming and literary convention, but still sounds pretty awesome, so I'll probably look into this one too.

Even though it was cancelled, TCAF even got into the online spirit a couple months ago, releasing a digital showcase of work from vendors and creators who would have attended this year's event as a PDF that was free to download with a donation benefiting both next year's convention and the comic shop located  next to the Fest's venue, which I thought was a great idea!

Fun times ahead!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment