Monday 30 April 2018

Home Care



After several years of putting it off, denying I needed it, or hitting dead ends in search of it, I've finally, with my parents' help, taken the first couple steps to getting home care.

This decision came from a discussion my parents and I had a couple months ago about what I would do without them. We've had this discussion many times before, usually with the three of us taking things for granted or me blowing them off. This time was different though. For one, my parents are now nearing retirement and starting to look after my grandparents. Two, I actually gave the question some serious thought this time and came to realize that, realistically, there are a lot of things I just can't do on my own.

All those things considered, we contacted a local organization who recently sent in a woman to do an assessment, basically sitting down with me and my parents to talk about my disability, limitations, and what I'd need assistance with.

After a pretty lengthy discussion, we got down to setting things up. We all decided on a couple hours, two days a week to start, for help with some grooming and things like meal prep and some laundry. I was told that if and when I get work in the future and need additional help, I can contact this organization and get home care extended.

For now though, two days a week is a good start. It'll get me used to it and free up some time for my parents which, honestly, is what I'm most grateful for at this point.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! What a huge step to being responsible for your independence :) Its hard for me to accept help but I couldn't survive without community supports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1st really big step to independence believe it or not 😊😊 we will be here always to fill in the gaps and yes probably overstep those gaps from time to time 😉 and when I get older you will now be able to organize homecare for Moi lol (method to my madness..it is a training session really) love mom

    ReplyDelete