Wednesday 28 September 2016

Work stuff - Being realistic


Earlier today, I met with a case worker, who works for an employment agency, for a follow-up about the placement and to discuss changes in what I'm looking for, employment-wise.

Rather than sticking to writing, advocacy, and other paths which, even though I'm good at them, aren't exactly leading me to any kind of employment, I flat-out decided I just want a part-time job. Something a couple days a week that will supplement the disability pension I'm getting, get me work experience, and allow me to get out of the house and maintain a routine.

With my experience, the case worker suggested something in admin or data entry. She recommended taking an online typing test to check my speed, and said she had a few admin positions within the agency's networks, so that's okay for now. However, I've been with this agency for about a year and a half now, and the biggest opportunity to come from them so far has been the placement which was great, but never actually lead to real employment. With this in mind, I've decided to give the folks helping me now until Christmas to come up with something, even if it's just an interview. If nothing happens, I'm thinking about speaking with someone from the employment centre I did my placement with. They know me, a few of them already have my resume and know what I'm looking for, and I know them and the centre's success rate, so why not?

Another option I'm finally starting to consider for more reasons than just employment, is outright moving to a smaller city. My parents have been thinking about it for some time now, and moving to somewhere smaller just might mean less competition for a job.

Whatever works, I guess.

Anyway, enough of these work and adult-ish things, I've got a night of comics and Chinese food ahead of me!

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment