Wednesday 3 February 2016

Self-promotion & Putting Myself Out There


I've written before about needing (and wanting) to work on self-promotion and putting myself out there. Well, I've decided to take a couple steps towards that.

Recently, I asked around on a disability advocacy group about tips for speaking. I got a reply suggesting that I join advocacy groups as a way to network. So, I've decided to do that. First, I'm going to become a member of CORD, The Canadian Organization for Rare Disorders. I attended one of their conferences a couple years ago. The membership fee is cheap and the potential contacts and information I could get out of it could be well worth it. Plus, if things ever line up for me to attend another conference, I just may get to travel some more and that's always a bonus!

Second, I'm seriously going to look and see if there are any advocacy groups here in Ottawa that would be good to join. This part could take a bit more research, so I'll post updates when they come.

And lastly, I've decided to start writing for another website again. The blog is great, but the site I just contacted, which will remain nameless for now, has an actual Contributors page, complete with photos and brief bios of each person. So, if the response is positive, I could literally get my face out there!

Finger crossed, and I'll post updates when/if they happen.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment