Tuesday 24 October 2017

Life After 24


Several days ago, I was writing my "story" for a Joubert Awareness month thing. While doing so, I had made a comment on social media that writing your story is pretty hard when there's 32 years of it. A friend of mine directed me to something he had written for help. It wasn't quite the same as what I was doing, but it did get me thinking.

The piece my friend had written was called "Life Begins at 30". As I was reading it, I realized how much my life really took off at the age of 24.

When I speak and write, people are always amazed by how independent I am and by how much I've done but, the more I look back, the more I realize that I never really started doing things on my own until age 24. Sure, I had been in college but beyond going to the occasional movie or class function, I never really went out and did anything. Even when I did, it was usually always there and back, no lingering or extra socializing, and God forbid I be out after 11 pm! Even within the area of the college and residence, I never really strayed that far. Ten minute walks in either direction, either to the grocery store or to a McDonald's. Beyond college, my sphere extended almost exclusively to my family and what they were doing.

It was only at 24 that I started to branch out and try things on my own. The summer after my 24th birthday was the first time I even thought about travelling anywhere on my own, booking a flight to spend a few days with my grandmother.

That was also the year I went back to college for Scriptwriting. Maybe I had been emboldened by my solo trip to the Maritimes, or maybe it was the people in my class, but in Scriptwriting I was 100% more sociable. Rather than stocking up on books and dvds and hiding in my room, I was frequently participating in group activities, going out more, and even staying out late! My geographical reach expanded too. I got Para Transpo and made good use of it when I could, and started to walk far beyond my previous comfort zone.

I moved into the city the following year, which helped me maintain my newfound independence and drive. I started to go further into the city on my own, first with Para Transpo, then with a regular city bus. One-way trips, driving home with my parents quickly evolved into two-way trips on my own when I got comfortable. Socially, I was quick to find opportunities through my frequent visits to local comic shops, attending game nights, group events, and conventions.

I continued to fly down to visit my grandmother during the summers, but soon I was looking for something else. After much planning, my parents were comfortable with me traveling on my own, by train, to Toronto and staying through the weekend for the Toronto Comics Art Fest.

It's only been relatively recently, too, that I've started staying on my own for longer periods!

So, I guess the message here is not to worry if you don't feel independent or like your not doing things right out of the gate. Do things at your own pace, don't worry about what others are doing, and be proud of whatever it is you're able to do whenever you can do it.

Cheers!


1 comment: